Saturday, April 6, 2013

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

Working with a diverse group of children and families, I encounter various consequences when "isms" surface in the classroom and in parent interactions.  In one case, a child used classism to degrade another child. Classism occurs when people discriminated against others because of social status.  In this case, the child told the other child that his clothes were cheap and dirty because he was poor.  The child comes from a low socioeconomic background and does not have the best shoes or clothing.  As a result, the child’s feelings were hurt.  I immediately addressed the young girl who made the comment and explained that it was not nice to talk negatively about other people.  I also explained to the class that bullying and teasing was inappropriate behavior.  Although I addressed the situation, the child was still hurt.  I attempted to comfort the child and explain that he was a good student; therefore, he should not allow others to tear him down.  I also explained that his parents were doing the best for him and that some people will always have negative things to say. 
Another “ism” is LGBTism.  Sue (2010) stated that “LGBT-ism creates oppression for LGBT parents” (p. 187).  I can relate to this because I have had subconscious thoughts about gay parents.  This can hinder my ability to communicate with them, especially when I have hidden issues about homosexuality.  I do not openly discriminate against homosexuals; however, I do not agree with the lifestyle or practices.  I have learned that I must accept others and create change in myself.  Therefore, I must continue to work on this to avoid negative situations in the classroom.  I understand that slang and slurs can occur in the classroom, and children are often brutally open and honest about things they have learned at home.  As a result, I have heard children call other children’s parents “homos”.  I have always addressed this as bullying and made every effort to explain the differences in society to children.  Therefore, I must become more aware of diversity for myself to become a better educator.
Reference
Sue, D. W. (2010). Microaggressions in everyday life: Race, gender, and sexual orientation. New York, NY: Wiley

4 comments:

  1. Debra,
    I believe classism is a big problem in our society today and that is why so many children pick on other children when they see that they have less. They are seeing and hearing messages from the adults in their lives and the people in society. It is our job to try and erase this bias and so many others from their lives because honestly there are many "isms" that occur in society. It is sad to say that I don't think the whole world is going to change any time soon, but we can all do our small part to teach children that all people need to be respected regardless of the similarities or differences that may be present. Thank your for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra,

    I agree with you that classism is present in earl childhood programs, I would also say that we –as teachers, contribute to it when making comments on children’s clothes, their possessions, or somebody else’s work. This is where our daily self-reflection helps us, because it makes us more conscious about the comments we make and the attitudes we have when relating to people –children, family members, as well as people who work with us in the early childhood program, e.g. cooks, janitors, teacher assistants.

    Thanks for your post Debra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classism is a prolbem that is in presentable in children. As Eric Hoffman reminds us, some children say things and make comments because of the media and society. What is in style,what is in and trying to develop groups or friendship because of what one has is another common problem. We can teach our children to accept those who may be different, those who may not have the things you have but the person they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in the heat of the moment that we have the understanding that what others say is very hurtful but I think it's important to remind children that the behavior is inappropriate but also to remind them that it's hurtful. I think it's also important to encourage them to take another's perspective in order to comprehend the way that their words can make others feel.

    ReplyDelete